What is an HDD(Hard Disk Drive)?
One or more rigid fast-spinning platters covered with magnetic material are used to retrieve the information on a hard disk drive (HDD), also known as a hard disk, hard drive, or fixed disk. On top of a moving actuator arm, magnetic heads read and write data to the discs.
How does it work?
The hard disk consists of rotating magnetic platters and mechanical arms with reading/writing heads to store data.
Whenever the platter spins, the head must be moved to a suitable position before reading or writing data.
What is an SSD(Solid State Drive)?
As the name suggests, Solid State Drives (SSD) are nonvolatile storage devices that continually save and retrieve data on flash storage. Data is stored on linked random access memory instead of discs, which makes them quicker than hard disk drives (HDD). It is faster than a HDD.
How does it work?
Hard drives that employ solid-state media, generally NAND, are called SSDs (often known as flash) As the device’s brain, a controller writes and reads data to/from the NAND. Because all portions may be accessible at the same time, there is no varying seek time or rotational delay with SSD.
Speed of HDD VS SSD:
SSDs are significantly quicker than HDDs in terms of speed since SSDs do not contain electrical circuitry and moving components, which HDDs do. This makes SSDs a better alternative for performance than a 7200 RPM HDD, which can only provide read/write speeds of 80-160MB/s.
Reliability and Durability:
If you drop your laptop bag or shake your system while it is working, an SSD is more likely to protect your data than a hard drive. In most cases, read/write heads are parked when the system is off but fly over the platter at a distance of a few nanometers when they are functioning. Even parking brakes, however, have limitations. An SSD is advised if you are harsh with your computer equipment.
Difference between HDD & SSD:
|HDD(Hard Disk Drive)||SSD(Solid-State Drive)|
|Longer write and read time.||Shorter write and the time.|
|HDD has a higher holding pattern.||The SSD has a lower holding pattern.
|Different capacities of HDDs are available.||The storage capacity of an SSD disk is restricted.|
|Caused by mechanical motions, HDDs might create some noise.||The SSD does not create any noise.|
|An HDD is heavier.||Because they do not contain rotating disks, spindles, and mirrors, SSD drives are much lighter than HDD drives.|
|Over a prolonged period and with more data saved on an HDD, fragmentation is more likely.||Solid State Drives (SSDs) do not suffer from fragmentation.|
Advantages of HDD:
- A huge amount of storage space is provided.
- Even if the system is shut off, the saved items remain intact.
- It can’t be lost because it’s permanently installed into the computer’s hard drive.
- With computers, they can readily exchange information.
- Images, movies, and text documents are among the data types that may be stored on them.
- Operating system data and software-related files can be stored on HDD devices.
- It has a tiny footprint and is easily transportable.
- However, they are significantly less expensive than solid-state drives (SSD).
Disadvantages of HDD:
- If the computer’s hard drive fails, it will not function.
- If the HDD drive fails or is damaged, you will lose all of your essential data.
- The data recovery process is tough when a hard drive fails.
- The “head” can crash, resulting in damage to the disk surface.
- You can’t move the hard drive to another machine.
Advantages of SSD:
- SSD drives have a download speed of 35 to 100 microseconds, depending on the model. They are 100 times faster than HDDs.
- Because they are more transportable and ideally suited for continual travel, SSDs feature quality data or moving elements.
- In addition, SSD drives are extremely durable.
- Flash memory is used to store data on SDDs, which improves dependability.
Disadvantages of SSD:
- SDDs have a greater initial cost than HDDs.
- An SSD’s write, erase, and rewrite cycles are restricted.
- There is a limit to the maximum capacity of a solid-state drive (SSD). SSDs’ storage capacity is rising, though, as flash memory technology improves.
Computers or laptops are the basic need of us these days. People want the best laptops with affordable prices along with every possible good feature. Most of them think good-quality laptops are very costly, but this is not the truth. There are some of the best laptops under 600 that provide all the features. Among HDD and SSD, SSD is far better than HDD because it has greater speed, reliability, and durability.