The Bachelor of Dental Surgery is an undergraduate degree program in the dental field and is one of the most popular study programs in the field of medical sciences. As we know, maintaining good dental hygiene is vital to living a positive, healthy life, and good dental health generally comprises proper daily maintenance like brushing and flossing, alongside regularly visiting your dental care professional. Therefore, BDS degree holders play a vital role in our life.
This blog will give you an insightful view of the BDS courses, and the best dental college in Bhopal.
|Table of Content:
What is a Bachelor of Dental Surgery?
The BDS is a degree program of 5 years, which includes 4 years of an academic program, and 1 year of mandatory internship. The course generally teaches topics related to dental problems, dentures, and surgery. However, all dentists in India who wish to practice after completing their education must register with the Dental Council of India, which oversees BDS. Some of the best BDS colleges in India offer this professional study program, and also provide excellent career guidance for the same.
Candidates upon completion of their BDS degree can explore a variety of job opportunities in sectors such as the pharmaceutical industry, private and government hospitals, the medicine industry, etc. The course fees of BDS Private College fees range between INR 6 lakhs – INR 9 lakhs or more in India.
Syllabus of BDS
As the BDS courses impart theoretical, as well as practical knowledge to students in different subject domains. Here’s a mention of some of the topics that are typically included in every BDS syllabus:
- Physiological and Biochemistry
- Dental Anatomy and Dental Histology
- Microbiology and Pathology
- Dental Material
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Oral Pathology
- Oral Medicine and Radiology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Public health and community dentistry
- Conservative and endodontics
- Human Physiology
- Materials used in Dentistry
- Human Oral Anatomy, Physiology, Histology, and Tooth Morphology
- Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Any top-most dental college and hospital in India include a combination of all the above-mentioned topics in its curriculum.
What are the eligibility criteria for the BDS program?
Some of the common requirements that each student must meet to pursue this course are given below:
- Candidates must complete 10+2 with compulsory subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology
- A minimum score of at least 50% in the 12th standard is a must. However, this percentage might vary from college to college
- Qualifying for the NEET exam is mandatory. Some colleges might not follow this, but maximum renowned colleges require candidates to meet this criterion
- Candidates should not be less than 17 years old
Further study programs after BDS
There used to be little opportunity for BDS students, who had to choose between starting their private practice or continuing their education. Today, these degree holders have a wide range of alternatives. They can select from the job categories available in hospitals, research institutes, educational institutions, pharmaceutical companies, dental products manufacturing industries, etc.
Moreover, the candidates can go for higher studies to have a piece of proper knowledge, and a better insight into the subject matter. Some of the popular higher studies include the following names:
- Masters in Dental Surgery: MDS is a widely chosen master’s degree program that you can pursue upon completion of a BDS course. The NEET MDS exam, administered by NBE, is used to determine admission to this postgraduate program. Those who clear the entrance exam are accepted into several MDS specialization programs. Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology, and Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology are a few of the specialty fields in dentistry.
- Pursue Dental Courses: Besides the traditional study programs, there are some diploma, and certificate courses on Dental Product Design, Dental Cosmetology, Forensic Odontology, and many more that BDS degree holders can try out. Some of the best BDS colleges in India offer such courses, which have been termed beneficial by numerous students.
- Masters in Public Health: Another study program that students might select to advance their careers is MPH (Master’s in Public Health). You can enroll in this course to learn how to manage public health. And, after the training sessions, the candidates can apply for a job in different administrative or management positions, as well as positions in policy, community practice, and research.
Moreover, there are different higher study programs that you can choose from upon completion of your BDS degree. The best dental college in Bhopal can properly assist you while deciding the next step.
Know about the best dental college in Bhopal
The Mansarovar Dental College is specifically recognized as the best private BDS college in Bhopal. Besides a dental college, it is widely known as a fully functional dental hospital that offers cutting-edge amenities such as induction casting machines, ceramic furnaces, dental X-rays, CBG, and more than 250 branded dental chairs.
However, Mansarovar Dental College offers both the BDS and MDS programs and is composed of departments like Public Health Dentistry, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge, Periodontics, Orthodontics, Dentofacial Orthopaedics, Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Oral Medicine and Radiology, Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics.
Promoting improved education, as well as giving the next generation of dental surgeons the unmatched clinical abilities they need to practice are the main motives of this college. As a result of its excellent facilities and proper infrastructure, this is regarded as the best dental college in Bhopal.
As we can see, the BDS degree offers a bright career prospect to students, because of its high demand for graduates in India and abroad in different domains of medicine and dental science. With people realizing the importance of dental health and hygiene, this is one of the most sought-after study programs in India.
If you are willing to make a career in this sector, and further looking for the best BDS college in MP, the Mansarovar Dental College can be a wise choice for you. We hope the information helps you to understand the BDS program, and find out the best college in India offering the same.
- Can BDS degree holders use the title “Dr.” before their names?
Yes, upon completion of a BDS degree, you will be eligible to include the title of “Dr.” before your name. And, you can practice dentistry after receiving a license from the Dental Council of India (DCI).
- What are the different job profiles available for BDS graduates?
Researchers, Dentists, Dentists in Indian Railways, lecturers, and Dental Officers in Defence Services among others are some of the popular job profiles for BDS degree holders.
- What is NEET (UG)?
National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (UG) is an all-India pre-medical admission exam for candidates wishing to enroll in undergraduate medical (MBBS), dental (BDS), and AYUSH (BAMS, BUMS, BHMS, etc.) programs in public and private Indian universities. Qualifying in this exam is mandatory to be admitted to the best dental college in Bhopal (MDC).
- What can be the initial salary of a Dental Surgeon in India?
In India, the average starting salary for a dental surgeon can be around ₹2.6 Lakh per year. However, a minimum experience of 1 year is needed to be a dental surgeon.
- What is the total number of seats available for the BDS program at Mansarovar Dental College?
Mansarovar Dental College has an intake of 100 seats for the BDS course.