Are you someone who plans to pursue BDS, but is unsure of what career opportunities you can get? We are sure, given the diverse opportunities, you need insights on advancing your career.
Through this blog, we shall help you in identifying career opportunities that you can avail of after enrolling in BDS colleges in India. You will also get to know about ways to identify the best fit to fulfil your ambitions. So stay tuned for upcoming insights.
|Table of Contents
- About BDS
Kothiwal Dental College and Research Center, one of the best private dental colleges in India offer you an opportunity to be part of their community with the following specifications-
|Duration||5 years (4 years + 1 year internship)|
|Fees||Rs. 2.0 Lacs over 4 years|
The curriculum at BDS colleges in India is carefully curated to equip you for the job market. The courses offered are designed with a clinical approach. Have a look at the following courses that you can expect to deal with in your 5-year-long tenure.
Skills you gain:
To advance your career as a BDS graduate, you need skills. BDS colleges in UP that the program outcome includes that-
- You are trained to deal with diverse dental conditions. A major part of the curriculum trains you in dental examinations, tooth extractions, root canal treatments, dental fillings, crown placements, and dental prosthetics.
- You get an opportunity to collaborate with doctors of other specialities and thus address complex medical issues with a professional mindset.
- Dentistry is an evolving field, which pushes to keep abreast with the latest technologies, procedures and medical advancements.
- Complex clinical cases train you to find solutions, with your existing expertise.
- You will indulge in various clinical camps and outreach programmes which give you an outlook towards professional challenges. From dealing with multiple patients to developing empathy, the journey gives satisfaction to your passion.
- Pursue MDS or PhD-
With a valid NEET-MDS score, you can enrol yourself in BDS colleges in India with the following specialisations-
|Oral pathology & Microbiology|
|Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry|
|Public health dentistry|
|Oral medicine & radiology|
- Practice in a hospital/ clinic
You can gain clinical experience by practising in a private or govt. Hospital. Remember to register yourself under the Dental Council of India.
- You can also open your clinic or collaborate with other physicians. A min. 3 years of clinical experience would give you legitimacy. Focus on major dental surgeries like RCT, Crown-cutting, Impactions, etc.
- Pursue jobs in Govt. Sector-
You can join the defence and armed forces via-
- Army Dental Corps- You need to mandatorily complete your rotatory internship. MDS candidates can also apply.
- To join CAPF you can apply for MOSB (Medical Officer Selection Board)
- Other services include- Railways, the Territorial Army and state govt. vacancies.
- Clinical Research
If you are passionate about finding solutions to unresolved and unique dental problems, clinical research is your way to go. Kothiwal Dental College has a state-of-the-art research centre.
- As the “Pharmacy of the world”, India has immense scope in clinical research.
- Suitable job roles are- Medical Advisor, Drug Developer, Regulatory Affairs Manager or Physician.
- Academician (Lecturer in Dental College)
With clinical experience of 3 to 5 years, you may have opportunities as a tutor or instructor. Core responsibilities include conducting practical sessions with the students.
- Overseas career in dentistry
You can get lucrative opportunities overseas if you opt to pursue your Masters or even private practice. Identify the eligibility criteria, as per the destination of your choice. You might need to appear for National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Part 1 and Part 2 if you wish to practice in the US/Canada.
|Serving in Govt. facility||4 to 15 LPA|
|Private Clinics/ Hospitals||3 to 20 LPA|
|Dental Researcher||4 to 7 LPA|
|Professor||3 to 10 LPA|
Choosing the best private dental colleges in India.
Finding the right BDS colleges in India requires extensive research. A few parameters to consider are-
- Infrastructure: Ensure that the hospitals, research centres, laboratories and lecture halls are well equipped. The college has a hospital, a research centre and a mobile dental unit for academic purposes.
- Ranking and Affiliation: You can get to their All India ranking, through various accreditations like NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council)
- Faculty: Seek information regarding the faculty’s clinical and teaching experience. You get to identify their niche areas and eventually get to work under them during your academics.
- Accommodation: Do look out for hostels within the campus, availability of rooms and if possible visit the campus for better insights. Kothiwal College has a separate hostel facility for boys and girls with all the necessary amenities.
After enrolling in BDS colleges in India, you should remember that the course curriculum shall be rigorous. It is a transformative journey, as you deal with dental cases on a day-to-day basis. Remember that, the better you train yourself, the better you shall be aware of your priorities. Pursuing an MDS can put you on track to become a certified dentist. Likewise, there are many different ways wherein you can advance your career. We are sure, the blog helped you in crafting a niche area for yourself.
1. What is the career scope of BDS?
BDS has a wide scope, as you can enrol in MDS with specialisation. You can pursue practice in a hospital/clinic or dive into research. An opportunity to do an MBA enables you to join corporates.
2. Which field in BDS is best?
In terms of salary, Orthodontist is the top-ranking field followed by Prosthodontists and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
3. Is BDS better than MBBS?
MBBS and BDS are the most eyed careers for NEET aspirants. MBBS allows you to specialise in diverse fields via MD/MS. But, BDS keeps you limited to dentistry. Enrol in courses that suit your interests.
4. What is the highest package of BDS?
The average salary of a fresh BDS graduate is 4.7 LPA. Depending on your experience, you can get lucrative incentives. After 10-15 years of career, your salary can go above 30 LPA.
5. How to apply for MDS?
Apply for NEET-MDS after your BDS. Choose a specialisation of interest and appear for counselling. You will get admission as per your score and rank in NEET-MDS.