The Indian Premier League will be back for the 2024 season, and the fans are asking one question: Will they get to see the same kind of high-scoring thriller they saw in 2023? Over the years, 200-plus totals have become the norm, and the reason is that teams have aced the art of making 200-plus totals.
In this article, we will show you five teams that have scored the most 200-plus totals in IPL history. We will discuss what the reason is and some of the star performers who have made it possible. Who knows: these teams may score more 200+ runs in 2024 IPL and become more popular among IPL betting enthusiasts.
Top Five Teams With Most 200-plus Scores in IPL
Although we will take a look at the five teams, for now, you can go through this table, which will give you a comprehensive picture of how the ten IPL teams stack up in this regard:
|Number of 200-plus totals
|Chennai Super Kings
|Royal Challengers Bangalore
|Kolkata Knight Riders
|Lucknow Super Giants
Chennai Super Kings
One of the most successful IPL franchises, Chennai Super Kings have won the IPL title on five occasions.
- CSK had some heavyweights like MS Dhoni and Ravindra Jadeja when it came to finishing off the innings.
- When it came to the middle order, they had some of the most consistent hitters, like Suresh Raina and Ambati Rayudu.
- Clearly, they have a formula to go for the kill only when they have great starts, which they often get.
- That is the reason they have breached the 200-run mark on 28 occasions—the most by any IPL team.
Royal Challengers Bangalore
RCB might not have won the trophy in their long IPL history, but they come in second when it comes to scoring 200-plus totals in the IPL.
- They have put up such totals on 24 occasions, just four short of the leader, CSK.
- Just like CSK, they had some of the most explosive batters, like Chris Gayle and Tillakratne Dilshan.
- In the middle, they had Virat Kohli and Ab de Villiers, the latter could accelerate the innings at any moment.
- Plus, their home ground has always remained a batting paradise with a fast outfield and small dimensions. Clearly, all these factors have helped.
The joint most successful team in IPL history, Mumbai have won the IPL trophy on five occasions:
- And one of the reasons is their superb batting.
- They had tremendous scouts who had done their homework, buying players like Rohit Sharma, Ishan Kishan, and Kieron Pollard.
- They have also picked up names like Tim David and Cameron Green when it comes to the next generation.
- The above-mentioned names can go on an effortless hitting spree, and therefore, it was never a surprise that they have put up a 200-plus total on 22 occasions.
Punjab is surely a surprise entry into this list, provided that they have never won the trophy and reached the finals just once.
- The presence of heavy hitters right from the start has helped them post good totals.
- They had some classy left-handers like Shaun Marsh, Yuvraj Singh, Kumar Sangakkara, and Shikhar Dhawan.
- The presence of next-gen hitters like Shahrukh Khan, who has been let go ahead of 2024, and Sam Curran also helped.
- They have breached the 200-run mark on 21 occasions, just one short of Mumbai Indians.
Kolkata Knight Riders
KKR won the trophy in 2012 and 2014. And has been consistent in a time period between 2018 and 2021, reaching the finals in 2021.
- They have posted 200-plus totals on 19 occasions.
- Finishers like Andre Russell and Rinku Singh can effortlessly hit maximums, helping them reach 200-mark with ease.
- Meanwhile, having batters like Nitish Rana presently and some big names in the past like Robin Uthappa and Gautam Gambhir ensured that they reached 200-plus totals with ease.
As mentioned above, these IPL teams know how to get to 200-plus totals. They have a set plan that includes a good opening stand, which must be followed by a strong partnership in the middle. And in the end comes the big finish.
Only on a few occasions have teams managed to reach 200-plus totals if they hadn’t fulfilled these three stages.
200-plus totals effectively serve two things: Firstly, it helps you win the match outright, sometimes with a run difference of more than 50 runs, which gives your net run rate a huge boost.
Secondly, it can also help pull more crowds into the stadiums. Most of the chasing teams nowadays get closer to such scores, making the match very interesting.