Betting is not only about luck; successful wagering also entails a well-crafted strategy and at least basic expertise in the niche. Newcomers to the gambling world should avoid several widespread oversights to make the most of their sessions and prevent money losses.
1. Lack of Diligence while Picking a Bookie
Checking if a gambling operator is reliable and trustworthy is crucial. Otherwise, there’s a great risk of saying farewell to funds and getting no payout. Select licensed and verified platforms. For instance, try your luck in online betting at Pirate Spot. This and many other sites work under a Curaçao eGaming license recognized worldwide. Some bookies are authorized by no less prestigious regulators, like the following ones:
- The Malta Gaming Authority
- The Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission
- The UK Gambling Commission
If a bookmaker has permission issued by such authorities, customers can place stakes with peace of mind. All the gambling results will be fair, and withdrawals will be processed on time.
2. Absence of Proper Bankroll Management
Before much-awaited championships, there is a great temptation to make a huge bet in hopes of grabbing a large sum. Don’t rush to spend all your budget on 1-2 stakes only; determine your whole bankroll in advance and split it into many equal portions. The key financial rules are:
- Invest 1% of your bankroll for every wager only.
- If the chances look extraordinarily promising, increase this rate to 5% max.
- Set your daily, weekly, and monthly limits.
- Try to cash out your earnings each time your bet wins — it’ll help you escape the temptation to make unplanned wagers.
Start playing in neutral states, avoiding betting when you’re frustrated or leading by the will to chase losses.
3. Betting on the Main Markets Only
Some beginners don’t realize there is an opportunity to bet on something else except for the winner of the match. However, other markets sometimes provide higher odds and continuously diversify your experience. Consider the most acceptable choices for newbies:
- Both Teams to Score — predict whether both opponents score in a competition or not.
- Handicaps — a bookie sets a predetermined numeric advantage for a team, and you should guess if a squad will overcome it.
- Double Chance — these stakes cover two of three possible outcomes and reduce your risks.
If you have a deep understanding of a particular discipline and athletes’ capabilities, try your hand at more exotic markets. Consider predicting correct match scores, totals (over/under), penalties, or yellow cards.
4. Making Complex Wagers
The prospects of placing an accumulator bet look enticing since if it wins, the odds of all involved selections are multiplied. Nevertheless, it’s considered a high-risk prediction. If even one choice from the accumulator wager loses, your entire stake also fails.
System bets are less risky. To win such a stake, you should correctly guess, for example, two of three or three of four picks from your bet slip. However, for new punters, it’s recommended to stick to simple single predictions.
Catch one extra pro tip! Always analyze previous games’ results, monitor players’ form, and take into account the weather conditions.