By definition, skills mean the ability to act with determined outcomes, and it generally needs certain environmental stimuli, as well as situations to assess the level of skill being used, and shown. Also, each field includes individuals with developed knowledge and skills in their organizations.
One of the most chased career options is the field of engineering, which is composed of multiple branches. And, one of the broadest and oldest branches among them is Civil Engineering. As a professional engineering discipline, civil engineering concentrates on the maintenance, construction, and design of the physical as well as the naturally built environment. The civil engineers working areas usually include the public works linked with bridges, canals, roads, airports, sewage systems, pipelines, dams, railways, etc.
But, to make a career in this profession candidates must acquire some skills, and work on their development, which in turn can have a positive impact on their growth.
In this blog, we will learn about some of those skills, and further initiatives that can be taken to develop them.
|Table of Content:
Know about BTech in Civil Engineering
The BTech in Civil Engineering is a four-year undergraduate program and generally deals with the study of material science, structural designs, construction materials, and management. People with this engineering specialty also upgrade deteriorated infrastructure and contribute to environmental preservation by helping to clear up pollution and coming up with fresh solutions to prevent further contamination of the land, water, air, etc.
Some of the best engineering colleges in Thane offer BTech programs, with maximum specialization in various disciplines.
What are the most essential Civil Engineering skills?
As we know that like other branches of engineering, civil engineering also requires you to possess skills for a rewarding, and fulfilling career. Here are some of the skills that students willing to become civil engineers must keep in mind:
- Problem-solving: Starting from the planning to designing, and execution stages of any project, civil engineers are required to find solutions to a handful of problems. During this phase, they might come across technical problems associated with clients’ demands, the design of the building, or planning restrictions. In such situations, they can use their problem-solving capabilities to make sure of finding secure, viable, and budget-friendly solutions by ensuring the continuation of the project. The best engineering colleges in Thane take the initiative to equip students to grasp excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Technical skills: Civil Engineers need to have an appropriate understanding of design techniques, and experience in developing charts and models. Nowadays, maximum employers go for candidates who hold experience in using CAD (Computer-Aided Software) to create, plan, and design building or infrastructure arrangements. Furthermore, improved technical knowledge of project billing, quantity surveying, as well as bar bending schedule and estimation might increase your chances of getting hired.
- Proficiency in Physics, and Mathematics: Professionals with a civil engineering background must have expertise in subjects like mathematics and physics. Such proficiency is required to work with formulas for calculating, and understanding building specifications. The BE colleges in Mumbai emphasized this requirement and guided their students for the same.
- Teamwork: Be it any civil engineering project, the engineers need to work as a team. So, to determine if you can function and cooperate as a cohesive team, such skills are crucial. This helps the project finish quickly, and guarantees that civil construction and buildings properly fulfill the required standards for quality.
- Excellent Verbal Communication Skills: To make sure that the professionals can effectively communicate with others, and also present their construction processes and ideas this field demands the necessity of magnificent verbal communication skills. The best engineering colleges in Thane aim at improving the verbal communication skills of their students, during their academic tenure.
- Ability to work under pressure: In most cases, civil engineering projects can become unpredictable, and even careful planning can lead to cost overruns or delays. Therefore, this field demands engineers to have the capability to deal with such complex situations, without any negative impacts on the projects. This is, however, the most important skill for civil engineers, because it lets them deal with the situation calmly and strategically.
The overall responsibility of a civil engineer includes overseeing the project’s completion from beginning to end. Therefore, it demands more essential skills like creative thinking skills, organization skills, attention to detail, etc. Moreover, in India, the top civil engineering BTech, MTech, and other study programs are provided by some of the best engineering colleges in Thane.
How to improve such important skills?
There are a few points that can help you in strengthening the required skills in civil engineering. Given below is a list of some ways:
- Gaining experience- Focusing on learning through volunteer work, internships, and job shadowing to hone your abilities can boost your skills. Moreover, these changes can aid in your comprehension of how other people apply their expertise to guarantee the timely conclusion of a civil engineering project.
- Pursuing higher studies– The postgraduate degree programs or courses can always give you more information about the topics taught at the undergraduate level. So, enrolling in a Master of Technology program can develop your new skills, and improve the existing ones. The private engineering colleges in Mumbai include higher study programs in their curriculum.
- Widening your network- You can connect with other senior civil engineers who can give you proper suggestions, and how to work on your skills.
Reasons for studying civil engineering at TERNA Engineering College
The TERNA Engineering College, located in Mumbai is widely recognized for its excellent undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Their list of bachelors of engineering courses includes the name of the civil engineering academic program. However, the department of civil engineering was established in 2017 to impart knowledge on topics like construction, planning, design, research and operation maintenance, etc. Furthermore, the department provides training sessions to its students to use innovative techniques and strategies in this profession.
Throughout the years, the college has successfully offered students technical knowledge with techniques for better utilization of available resources, as well as standardization of construction processes required by the construction industry. The key features of this department include dedicated faculty members, well-equipped laboratories, industrial visits, etc. As a whole, the college is known as one of the best BE colleges in Mumbai.
Summing up, civil engineers are considered to be engaged in one of the most exciting, as well as interesting professions. They can be termed as problem solvers, who often come across different challenges of pollution, urban development, overcrowded traffic, community, etc. Therefore, their profession needs proper enhancement of skills besides theoretical and practical knowledge.
And, the TERNA Engineering College is by far regarded as one of the best private engineering colleges in Mumbai.
- What are the activities a civil engineer needs to perform at the workplace?
Their most common duties include going for site visits, creating construction plans, approving and selecting construction materials, understanding environmental factors, conducting feasibility assessments and site inspections, working with government officials, drawing a blueprint depending on the technical specifications of a building, etc.
- What are the popular entrance examinations for Civil Engineering?
JEE Mains, MHT CET, GATE, JEE Advanced, KCET, and BITSAT are some of the top-most entrance examinations. Maximum BE engineering colleges in Mumbai select candidates based on their performance in the entrance examinations.
- What are the top-most job profiles for Civil Engineers?
Site Engineers, Geotechnical Engineers, Construction Engineers, and Structural Engineers are some of the popular job profiles of civil engineers. However, candidates often choose to become Professors/Lecturers after pursuing a degree in Civil Engineering. TERNA Engineering College assists students in making the best career decisions.
- What are the widely followed eligibility criteria for studying BTech in Civil Engineering?
To complete 10+2 with at least 60% aggregate score with PCM (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics) subject is generally accepted in maximum colleges in India. But, the pass percentage may vary from college to college, depending upon other factors.